Seeking Child Support in Illinois

 Posted on March 16, 2016 in Child Support

Illinois child support attorney, Illinois family law attorneyDivorce is a daunting, emotionally draining process for anyone, but when children are involved, the additional task of seeking and obtaining child support adds a whole other element of stress to a couple’s plate. As a parent undergoing divorce, you want to make sure your children have everything they need to thrive and succeed while ensuring your family’s best interests are protected in wake of the separation.

The Facts

The state of Illinois has laid out some clear, helpful instructions for parents who need to apply for child support, and state assistance in this area is efficient and plentiful. If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed, here are some facts that will help acquaint you with the process:

  • Child support services are offered to children who live both in and outside of Illinois state;
  • Parents applying for child support are not required to receive public assistance;
  • The Department of Healthcare and Family Services can help establish paternity for your child or help locate the non-custodial parent, if needed; and
  • Child support services are provided by Illinois state at no cost to you.

Securing Financial Support

One of the biggest worries parents have when preparing to seek child support is wondering whether or not financial assistance can be obtained and then reliably sustained over a period of time. The good news is the state has many methods to ensure financial support is collected and that the rules for collection are enforced.

The primary way the state secures financial support for your child is through income withholding. The Department of Healthcare and Family Services tracks employment information and sends out an Income Withholding Notice. Should there be a failure to pay, or in the event that payments fall behind, the state can take further action to make sure child support continues to be provided. They may suspend the delinquent parent’s driver’s license, suspend or revoke their professional license(s), or even place a lien on their real estate or personal property.

Ready to File?

If you are ready to file for child support payments, contact an experienced Kane County family law attorney. The lawyers at Shaw Sanders, P.C. can help. Call 630-584-5550 today to make the child support process seamless and stress free.



Share this post:



Contact Us

How Can We Help?

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.