Modifying Parental Responsibilities in Illinois

 Posted on December 13, 2022 in Child Custody / Allocation of Parental Responsibilities

St. Charles, IL child custody modification lawyerIn 2016, Illinois changed how courts handle child custody matters. Child custody now involves two components. The allocation of parental responsibilities refers to the allocation of child-related decision-making authority. Parenting time, which used to be called visitation, is the time each parent cares for the child.

In order to promote stability in a child’s life, the court only allows parents to modify their child custody order under certain circumstances.

Modifying a Child Custody Order in the First Two Years

The rules about child custody modifications depend on when the order was established or last modified. It is generally believed that maximizing consistency is in the child’s best interests after a divorce. Consequently, the courts want to prevent the parents from making unnecessary changes to the child custody order. If it has been less than two years since the child custody order was first established or last modified, there is a higher burden of proof needed to change the order. If you want to modify parental responsibilities within two years, you usually must submit an affidavit to the court affirming that the current allocation of parental responsibilities is endangering the child’s physical, mental, psychological, or moral health.

Modifying a Child Custody Order After Two Years  

The only thing certain in life is change. Many parents find themselves in a situation where they need to change their allocation judgment after a divorce. If it has been more than two years since the child custody order was established or modified, you will need to demonstrate the following to modify the order:

  • There is a substantial change of circumstances that directly affects the child
  • The modification is in the child’s best interests

Countless different situations may constitute a major change in circumstances. For example, if a parent moves a significant distance away, a child custody modification may be needed to change the parent with primary decision-making authority.

Contact Our St. Charles Child Custody Lawyers

If you need to modify your child custody order or your child’s other parent is requesting a modification with which you disagree, we can help. Our Kane County family law attorneys are highly experienced in child custody matters, divorce, and other family law concerns. Attorney Matt Shaw has practiced family law for over three decades. He and the rest of the staff at Shaw Sanders, P.C. can provide the legal support and representation you need. Call our office today at 630-584-5550 for a free initial consultation.


Share this post:



Contact Us

How Can We Help?

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.