What You Need to Know If You Are Sending or Receiving Child Support

Posted on in Child Support

Illinois family law attorney, Illinois divorce lawyerWhether you are a non-custodial parent looking to participate in your child’s life or you are the main caregiver in your household, providing and managing financial support for your children following a divorce is important to the well being of your entire family. Thankfully, the state of Illinois offers a plethora of resources for divorcing parents to aid them with the transition.

If You Are Receiving Support

Child support is one topic that raises many questions for parents wading through the divorce process. If you are the parent receiving the financial support, the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services has made it possible for you to access your case information online and to receive your child support payments electronically, in one of two ways: direct deposit or bank debit card.

With direct deposit, the custodial parent can have support funds sent directly to a checking or savings account of their choice, or they can utilize the debit card option, which involves a special debit card that allows funds to be credited to its account. You can then use that debit card anywhere it is accepted. Think of it as a bank account designed just for your child’s needs.

Should you need to make changes to your support order at any time due to significant changes to your income or the needs of your child, you may submit your case for modification. Typically, a review must first be conducted to verify balances, updated employment status, and income information. Once the review is done, your case may be eligible for modification. In general, child support orders are automatically eligible for modification every three years.

If You Are Paying Support

The state makes paying child support very convenient, providing one pay-by-phone option and two online payment options. Unless you are instructed otherwise, you can also send checks directly to the Illinois State Disbursement Unit (SDU). You are required to include certain information with each payment, including the Illinois court where the order was entered, the case number, and the obligor’s name and social security number.

If you fail to pay or miss a child support payment, be aware that the state has the authority to utilize various methods to obtain the funds you owe. Your tax refunds may be intercepted, your wages can be withheld, and liens can be placed on your personal property or assets. To avoid any lapses in payments or problems with the receipt of your payments, be sure to communicate and keep your record of address and employment current.

When it comes time to assess and establish child support, parenting time (visitation), and child custody (the allocation of parental responsibilities), it is wise to speak with a competent Kane County family law attorney to ensure you have all the facts and that your rights are protected. Call Shaw Sanders, P.C. at 630-584-5550 for a free consultation today.




Recent Blog Posts



Contact Us

How Can We Help?

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.