St. Charles, IL High Income Child Support Lawyers

High Income Child Support and Deviations in Illinois

Kane County child support attorney

High asset divorces are typically more complex than standard divorces in a number of ways. One such way is in the allocation of child support. Child support payments are typically paid by the non-residential parent to the residential parent according to statutory guidelines. When there is a significant difference in the income of each parent, the court will sometimes deviate from those statutory guidelines.

At Shaw Family Law, P.C., our attorneys are highly experienced in handling high income child support matters and other high net worth cases. We have successfully represented both higher-earning spouses and lesser-earning spouses, fighting for fair and reasonable child support judgments from both sides.

Determining Child Support in High Income Cases in Kane County

Determining the amount of child support owed in Illinois is typically fairly straightforward. Most cases strictly follow statutory guidelines that specify how much of the paying parent's net income must go towards child support. The percentage owed increases with each additional child. When one parent makes a substantially higher income than the other parent, however, firm adherence to the statutory guideline may be unreasonable.

While there were substantial changes to family law in Illinois (as of January 1, 2016) that effectively ended the notion of child custody in favor of allocation of parental responsibilities, one parent is still typically named the residential parent for the purpose of determining child support, among other things. The residential parent is owed child support from the non-residential parent. If the non-residential parent earns a high income, that could translate into a very high child support payment. For example, if a parent earns $100,000 a month, he or she would owe $20,000 a month in child support for one child. An argument could be made to the court that $20,000 a month is more than is necessary to contribute to the care of a child.

Likewise, if the residential parent has a high income and the non-residential parent does not, an argument could be made that compelling child support according to statutory guidelines is an unnecessary hardship. When the court makes deviations to the statutory guidelines, it does so by evaluating the specific circumstances of each case. Our attorneys are experienced in arguing for child support deviations from both sides of these disputes. We know how to effectively advocate for our clients' interests and the best interests of our clients children.

Contact Our Child Support Attorneys

If you are in need of an experienced attorney to handle your high income child support case, contact Shaw Family Law, P.C. by calling 630-206-3300 to schedule a free consultation. One of our attorneys will meet with you personally to discuss the specifics of your situation. We take the time to listen to you so that we can have a full understanding of the circumstances of your case and craft an individualized strategy to achieve your objectives. From our office in St. Charles, Illinois, our firm handles cases throughout Northern Illinois including Kane, DuPage, DeKalb, and Kendall Counties.

Contact Us

How Can We Help?

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.